Monday, June 22, 2009

New, new, new . . .



All last week a very kind man has been helping me with my jungle.  It has been whacked down to what you see here.  In Oklahoma the hottest part of the day is between 4 and 6 pm.  He was mowing during that period.  The next day had to go to the doctor because he dehydrated.  Yes, as you can imagine, I felt horrible about that.  Yesterday he came by and started the raking process.  It hasn't been really raked and taken care of for a couple of years so once again it is a tough process.  I am making sure he has plenty of water as he is working in my yard.  I am considering buying him a camelback so that he can stay hydrated while he works as a thank  you.  When my jungle is a yard again I will post pictures of him.  I  can not thank him enough for the work he has done.

 
For my gardening efforts.  I was really hoping that something would come of this plant.  I am getting very discouraged as the fucsia is dwindling quickly in the heat despite my best efforts to keep it watered.  I hope it holds out until I can get some plant food.  Hopefully that will perk it up.  As for this little guy, I guess you are supposed to see as many fruits as you see blooms but I will be happy if this one makes it.  My rose has sprouted another bud.  I all but thought it had given up too.  Maybe my thumbs aren't so black any more, maybe they are just brown - ish.



Did you know this is where your fingers go?  So much of what she is doing these days is visual and it is hard to catch her with the camera doing the things that make me smile the most.  It'd be one thing if she was only putting one finger up there but I suppose she's mastered that.  Now she is going for the two finger dig.  And really it's not that she is digging anything out, she just likes how it feels to have her fingers in her nose . . . at the same time.


My favorite little face she makes.  This is not a pucker, however, this is an expression that can mean anything from "no, I am not liking that idea" to "yes, mama, I'd like that very much."  She just gets really happy when she can get you to do this back.  As with many things she is working on.  If she does it . . . she wants you to do it too . . . so she can laugh at you.  
We are working on switching her from a bottle to a cup.  Some days she is loving the cup and some days she wants all her fluids in a bottle.  One way or another she has bypassed the tradition of the milk "mustache" in favor of a milk "beard".  I say, way to forge  your own path.


Banana Nut Cheerios in the tea cup - milk in the bottle.  One of these days she will get the two together but she doesn't want them in the same recepticle at the same time. For now . . . 

Also my central heat and air went out.  It is a Goodman machine and just about everything that can be replaced on it has been and it still isn't working.  It will be the beginning of July before I can get a window unit but until then it has been a challenge to come up with inexpensive ways to "cool off".  This is her first experience with freeze pops.  Up until now she has been really offended by anything cold in her mouth.  Cold milk, ice cream . . . anything.  Through the heat of our home she is learning the value of cool things.  Now if only I could figure out what gets freeze pop stains out of baby clothes.


I was really hoping to get by with not having ever given my child soda.  The challenge to this is I am not the only one who feeds her.  I have accepted that because I have to work that I cannot be there to monitor all day the things she consumes but I wish someone would own up to having given her her first taste of soda.  I can't have one in any for at the house with out her being very upset that I am not sharing it with her.  She grabbed my empty cup out of the cup holder on the end of the couch, played with it and tossed it up on the couch.  In this picture you see her standing on the very tips of her toes trying to reach the cup.


She did get some help reaching it.  But I show you this to say, she knows how to use a straw and is getting better at it all the time.  Most of the liquid even stays in her mouth now and that makes me very happy.  In a few more weeks I might just get rid of her bottles all together, just as soon as I get a window unit to cool down the house.

On an unrelated note.  I am seriously thinking about buying a new line and braving the bird poo by setting up the clothes line.  If nothing else I won't have to worry about the dryer heating up the house when I finally get it cooled down to a bearable state.  Any tips on hanging the line?

No comments:

Post a Comment