Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Behind the Name.

I guess before I go too much further I should explain the name of this blog.  I was adopted by my dad when I was two.  His family name is Young.  This family name is chuck full of history.  It traces back to Thomas White, who was one of the organizers of the Boston Tea Party.  (this part I am hijacking from my dad's face book account) "Fought in the Revolutionary War along side General Washington. Fought in the War of 1812 where he lost 2 sons, had 21 children "
Also, according to my grandfather, we are related to Maryanne Evans who wrote under the pen name George Elliot and authored "Silas Marner".  This family holds a long, long line of teachers and people who rise up against unseeming odds.  I used to tell people I have a family history of social deviance so it was my duty to continue the legacy and do what no one thought me capable of.  
I was able to spend one amazing Christmas with my grandfather at his home in Pennsylvania while I was working in Tennessee.  I spoke with him about every thing from his boyhood, to my grandmother, who I have no recollection of, to our family history.  He took me to the place where Thomas White was buried.  Over that Christmas I came to understand the history and the pride of being a "Young".  It is more than social deviance, it is about standing up for what is right and standing up for people who cannot stand on their own.  My grandfather was suffering from his age and had a propensity to repeat the same stories over and over, sometimes right after he just told you that story.  Some of our family members would let their eyes glaze over and just think "oh here we go again."  But I honestly was grateful to have the chance to film him as he talked about these things.  I put together a short video about him and who he was from day to day.  Although if you ask Alberta, she'd say he was putting on a show.
In some ways I am glad that I am not married.  Let's leave it at, my brother is not going to have children and as women, my sister and I are supposed to take on the man's last name.  In effect the legacy of my grandfather's lineage ends with me.  I was able to pass on our last name to my daughter.  Hopefully if I ever get married I will be able to convince my husband to change his last name.  Just because we are traditionally a patriarchical society doesn't mean it always has to be that way (I am polishing the finer points but I am pretty sure I can at least make a good argument for it.)  
As it stands I have passed the name to X.  But it really doesn't matter what my last name is I will always be a "Young".  When you are born into a family, they can disown you.  When you are adopted into one, you are legally bound to them.  
I guess that throughly explains the Forever part of it, and efficiently the "Young" part.  Now you  might be thinking that "Forever Young was already taken . . . etc, etc."  But the reality is Youngin was exactly what I intended.  You see that is what my best friend calls me, "Youngin'"  and I can't have a blog with out a shout out to the most amazing best friend ever, who by the way is also a single mom.  Wait . . . I need to go call her.  I'll catch you chickens later.

No comments:

Post a Comment