Sunday, June 13, 2010

Vacation . . . all I ever wanted . . . oral surgery.

Another note from the past:

I am going to go out on a limb and say that most people don't like to start their vacations with oral surgery but find me the person who says I do anything normal and you'll know they don't know me well. Nervous . . . yes of course I was nervous. Going completely under to have a couple of wisdom teeth pulled. (There is a reason they do this when you are late teens to early 20's-ask me about that later). 

I had designs to get shots of the doctor and my face all huge so I could write and say "this is me after a huge fight. My face swelled up and I lost three teeth, but you should see the other guy." Then put up the picture of my female oral surgeon looking all happy and stuff. Then say, "In my defense she had a team of anesthesiologists (got that spelling right on the first try) who put me under first. Guess you have to be in my head for that to be funny.

When I woke up it was kind of a whirl wind. I know why they ask you to pay before you go in. Honestly all I remember is stumbling out to the car like a drunken sailor. My sister graciously drove me home but not before I made her stop to get me a Braum's Chocolate shake. If icecream is all I am supposed to eat for two days then by all means . . . I hadn't eaten all day to that point anyway. (Gum-that is what all of you missed, gum is what got me through my hungry parts of this. You chew it but you don't swallow it so you trick yoursel .. .what ever you don't want to know that.)

When I got home it was funny because part of my face was still numb and I was drooling chocolate shake all down the front of me. My sister got the laugh she hasn't had since we were teenagers and she'd give me dead legs so I could barely get off the bus at school. They gave me this squeeze bottle that I am supposed to use to help clean out the "holes" left by the teeth, but not for four days . . . so naturally I put it somewhere "where I wouldn't be tempted to use it" (that's my post op brain recovering from anesthesiology). Needless to say, I am still looking for it. My sister swears I never got one but I know I held it in my hands and put it somewhere, as a matter of fact, where ever it is, it is sitting on it's side because I was going to use it in four days and why stand on ceremony?

This is part of the, "why they do this when you are young" speech I got from Dr. Valasquez. The roots had grown long enough to reach into the sinus cavity. When the teeth are pulled it leaves, obviously, a hole. Eventually this hole gets plugged with the mouth-y equivalent of a scab and then the bone heals etc, etc. Maybe not to anyone else but to me, it is totally cool to be able to suck air into your mouth through your teeth holes without opening your mouth. I may not be the only one to do that (when you are not supposed to) but I might be the only one Dr. Valaquez knows that tried to make them whistle. 

Eventually you have to commence with the healing. Did you know that one of the foods they recommend you eat while healing from oral surgery is meatloaf and mashed potatoes? According to my nephew I am pretty good at meat loaf. When we told him that was what was for dinner he said, "I love your meatloaf". It means a lot to me when an 8 year old says he "loves" my meat loaf. 

Everyone I talked to before the 'extraction' told me they were feeling pretty beat up for a couple of days after their wisdom teeth were pulled. Mostly from the sedation. I have always known I react to medications different from most people but what I don't understand is why I was wired and couldn't sleep for two days. The most hyper I have been since we discovered they sell giant jaw breakers in Swan Valley on our way to camp. Of course Judy was the campion and getting those things licked down to a reasonable size.

My sister and her husband left on Friday and that left me and Xyla with Ninny. I really think that Xyla remembers her Ninny. She played so hard with her that I think the baby is having withdrawls. I don't even remember Friday that well. I think we tried to spend most of the day relaxing. Because that is what you are supposed to do after surgery, right?

For the interest of time this note is continued in part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment