Sunday, June 13, 2010

Vacation . . . all I ever wanted . . . the black thumb experiment.

Post from the past:

It isn't malicious. I swear it isn't. I have nothing against plant. I think they are amazing. I think they are great listeners. I think they do a lot to help the environment. I am sorry to report that there isn't a plant on this planet that I can't kill by doing exactly what I am supposed to do for it.

I was hoping through my formative years that I would inherit my mom's hair growth rate, her work ethic and her ability to make plants do stuff they aren't supposed to do, like grow little waxy flowers when they aren't supposed to bloom at all. If there is any better thing than a green thumb when it come to plants my mom has to of them. 

Two out of three ain't bad. 

I knew it wouldn't be a hard sell to get my mom to go to the farmer's market I have been dying to check out for months. Ever since she went vegetarian it has been easy to get her interested in holistic types of stuff. Yes I consider maintaining plants holistic. 

I hadn't intended to walk out of there with anything but my mom was inspired. She saw empty window boxes and felt the need to fill them. In my care it seems more like punishing them to death row. But I vow, I vow to do my best. (Poor plants). We left with several plants for the window boxes a fuchsia and a climbing rose. We then spent the bulk of the afternoon "planting" (mom was planting-I was apologizing profusely to the plants and praying that they will survive despite what I do to them.) We ended up getting one of those topsy turvy's too. I love tomatoes so hopefully this plant makes it. If I can grow tomatoes I might try my hand at other food items next year.

So far they are all still alive and I have done some research and found out that I need to water the fuchsia more often. I need a watering can. 

I was inspired. It didn't take long. So I started thinking about the things I have been thinking about for a while. Getting a yard together is going to be a process but I honestly think it will be great once I get things under control. I am uploading in my photos a new album. It will be titled "Welcome to the Jungle." My intent is to post updated pictures and posts on my adventures in lawn building. 

So far my goals are: 

Compost pile - if you are doing it right it isn't supposed to smell bad. Why buy dirt when you can make it.

Rain barrels - it rains for about three months straight here, it would be a shame to waste all that water, I will need to install gutters first.

Decorative bed beside the house - discourage intruders who might try to climb the fence, also discourage the dog from trying to dig out from under the fence on that side of the house.

Seed and grow an actual lawn - real grass, no vine-like weeds to provide a place for Xyla to play where she won't get eaten by mosquitoes or large vine-like weeds.

Lofty, maybe but I have nothing but time and Xyla seems to like helping mommy with the yard. It is a good way for us to do things together. Maybe I don't have the green thumbs but maybe, just maybe she inherited one of Ninny's green thumbs and that will counter act mommy's black thumbs. Only one way to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment