Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Independence Day


It started a few weeks ago and it isn’t consistent every day. She started to walk into her before school care room without even trying to give me a hug. She wanted to learn to wash laundry, she wanted to learn to wash dishes. Last week she even asked if she could comb her hair on her own for the first time.
We constantly have this conversation about she isn’t ever going to have kids, she doesn’t ever want to get married, she doesn’t ever want to leave home. But that divide is already in progress. I told her, you don’t have to do any of that right night but if you decide at some point that you want those things, I will be ok with it.
This lead to a conversation about what happens to her if anything happens to me. In typical Xyla style, it soon turned to what will happen to me if she dies first. So just to throw it out there for her peace of mind, who wants custody of me? (Just kidding. Mostly.)
It is hard for me to describe to her that I am trying to help her develop skills to manage life at the same time, I can’t imagine life without her in it. It’s that joy and sadness thing that so many empty nesters tell you about. You work hard to make sure they are self-sufficient but then they don’t need you anymore. Can’t have it both ways I guess.
There is no real moral here. I just kind of wanted to document the moment I knew she was starting to grow more independent.

No comments:

Post a Comment