Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter Sunday

Among the waves of home cooking and hoards of children under the age 3, I saw family we haven't seen in far too long.  One girl I had never met expressed that all she needed to know is that I was family and that was good enough for her.

Granny Bowen and Xyla

It's been a Happy Easter.  We woke up late and were not able to make it to church with Granny Bowen and Papa John.  We were still able to make it to a later service at our own church.  Xyla spotted Elmo out of the corner of her eye and hollered after him down the hall at the church before I had even registered that something red had flashed on the other end of the building.  I told her I didn't know if it was Elmo but we could go check it out.  She started off down the hall, a true blessing since it takes us about a thousand years to get her off the stairs near the door where we come in.  That is where you have probably see us before.  Walking against the crowd up and down, and up and down, and up and down the stairs.  She learned to climb the stairs there and is almost tall enough to have a solid solo grip on the rail so she can help herself.

Trying on bracelets.

She actually let Elmo touch her hand.  I was surprised because she usually gets really antsy when anything dressed in a fur suit gets within ten feet of us.  If that gives you an idea of how much she likes Elmo.  I am sure things wouldn't have went near as well if that was a bunny suit.  It's nice to know Elmo is saved.

During the service the song "Watch The Lamb" by Ray Boltz weighed heavily in my mind.  My brother used to sing that song and reduce the room to tears.  Sometimes I wonder if anyone else has ever heard it.  If you decide to search it please keep your tissues handy.  I am not an emotional person, really but this one gets me right around the part of the roman soldier.

The Bowen side of the family.
Since Xyla is starting her new daycare today and they will be going swimming this summer I decided to stop and see if any stores had cute baby swim suits out this year.  So far I am not impressed.  I think she will love the pool.  We picked up Xyla's daddy and and headed out to the I240 end of Midwest City to get lost and then found at the home of family we haven't seen in too, too long.  We were there for a long time.  It felt easy though.  Warm smiles, genuine hugs and many ears for the listening.  Family.

He says "no" and "open" and I am sure he thinks "Happy Easter" in your general direction.


On the grill to escape the noise?  Possibly but it's good barbque.


Told  you.  Starting from the top left that'd be homemade mac 'n' cheese, 
from scratch green beans, 12 hour pot roast, chicken spaghetti 
and in the middle there is sweet potatoes.  We eat like kings.

But chaos is exhausting.  We probably should have left sooner.  On the way home my eyes were tired, tired in a way they haven't been since college (the first time, not this time)
One weekend I was going home after a particularly long week of class/work/class/work/work/class etc.  About three weeks worth of that with no breaks.  I left tired beyond belief thinking I could drink some coffee and be ok for the hour and a half it took to get to my mom's place from school.  About a half hour into the drive I couldn't hold my eyes open.  I literally tried to hold them open alternatingly in two minute intervals.  Coffee was not working.  Did you know there is a tired that even coffee won't help?  I knew I was in trouble but I knew I couldn't stop.  So I prayed.  "Lord, I have to get home, I need to get there safely, please send something that will keep me awake until I get there safe.  I don't think I will make it if you don't."

This is how I know God hears me when I pray.  No sooner did the thoughts leave my grasp and I hit . . . a skunk.  If there is anything that will keep you awake for an hour it is the smell of a skunk in your vents.  I made it home.  I told my mom briefly what happened.  We comisserated over the skunk event that shaped my Jr. High years and I went to bed.  The next morning we went to the store and my mom said that she didn't smell skunk at all.  As a matter of fact neither did I.  It's not something that just "goes away".

On my travel back to school I specifically looked for the roadkill that would represent the sacrifice made so that I could be safe and it wasn't there.  In case you are thinking this was just a case of cleaned up roadside beast - let me remind you this was the weekend and Idaho is not known for being swift on the clean up process.

Sometimes I don't even have to ask God for help because He just knows I need it.  Last night for instance, the right songs came on the radio and there was the most amazing light show via lightening storm that coordinated with the music perfectly and the combination of the two kept me quite alert all the way to Stillwater.  This may be the only time you hear me say this so please listen closely:  "Thank God that Oklahoma is flat and praise him for skunks and lightening." 

1 comment:

  1. I am also reduced to a blubbery mass at "Watch the Lamb." So you are in good company there.

    ReplyDelete